History of Evergreen

The Beginnings



The earliest burials at the Fayetteville Evergreen Cemetery were in the 1840s. John Thomas and Harriet Thomas picked this spot just up the hill from their home, which was where the old Fayetteville Train Deport stands today, for the burial of their first child.


1847 & 1848

Though the land functioned as the Thomas’ private burial ground, they allowed others to be buried on the grounds. The two earliest individuals buried on the land was George Thomas Stirman (1842-1847) and Mary Stirman Pollard (1844-1848).



The first adult buried at Evergreen was Melissa Thomas Pulliam (1821-1849), John Thomas’ sister.



The land was purchased by the Free and Accepted Masons and the local Independent Order of the Odd Fellows (IOFF) to have a place for burial of their members, as well as the public. During this time, the grounds were referred to as the City Cemetery.



The Fayetteville Evergreen Cemetery Association was organized and began comprehensive care of the cemetery.



Evergreen Cemetery Association was incorporated. (To see incorporation papers, join Friends of Evergreen and have access to original document.)

Cemetery Records & Care

The Association maintains a record of burials since the Cemetery was established in 1847. The complete record of interments includes information gleaned from the original Grave Diggers’ List (prior to 1915), information kept by the sexton of the two controlling fraternal organizations, the Free Masons and the Odd Fellows (from 1870-1915), Association Records from 1915, Washington County Historical Society articles, and Washington County Genealogical Society cemetery reading in 1984.

The Board of Directors of the Fayetteville Evergreen Cemetery Association keeps full and complete records regarding the cemetery, including all cemetery-related resolutions, policies and actions, lot sales and ownership, burial registrations, donations, and associated funds.